Blog Journal #2

     Growing up in a time when technology was becoming an integral part of education I was taught how to use software such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Google Docs, and a couple others. I used Word the most in elementary and middle school, learning how to use word and clip art and how to format essays. I think that Word offers a lot of interesting tools but I always found it a bit too much. In high school I started using Google Docs more as most of my assignments were just writing assignments that didn't require visual aspects and I found it more straightforward. Another reason I leaned towards Docs was I was using an iPad throughout highschool and it was a lot easier to use on an iPad for me. Now I use a mix of both depending on what the assignment requires.

    The ISTE Standard I find the most meaningful is Facilitator. As a future teacher, my goal is to help give students tools and information that they'll be able to use long after they have left my class. I want them to be able to use critical thinking skills that I teach them how to use so that when I, or someone else, presents them with a problem they can find a solution and problem solve on their own. The ISTE description of Facilitator resonates with me a lot and I think that standard will be at the front of my mind when teaching.

    When learning about the concepts of "digital native" and "digital immigrant," I found that a lot of the definitions are generalizations which can make it hard to put someone into one box or the other. I think there's a lot more we need to take into consideration such as different perferences that change person to person regardless of if they grew up with lots of technology. That being said, I do also see lots of differences between people from different generations that technology could be the cause of. For me, I assume most people would label me as a "digital native". As stated before, growing up as lots of new technology and software was being released I was taught how to use some, and have been able to watch as that knowledge has become more and more important throughout my life. Knowing that I'll be teaching students who have a different relationship with technology than I do is a bit scary, but as long as we as educators can educate ourselves even learn from our students, we can keep up with the fast changing landscape of technology, which will allow us to give our students the best information possible.


"computer class" by woodleywonderworks is licensed under CC BY 2.0


Comments

Popular Posts